Not open for further replies.

allimuthug

Civil/Environmental
Oct 5, 2014
CA
Hi,

I have pile cap having both the cases given below
Case-A
The pile cap supporting column with base plate and anchor bolt .
Case-B
The columns are removed along with the base plate and anchor bolt , Crane would be moving over the pile cap.
To satisfy the above cases the ANCHOR BOLT must be of an removable type, as well as the above two case occurs continuously , means after some time columns are again supported and anchor bolt is again fitted in the same location .

Please suggest what type of anchor bolt should i use in this case , Please also note that the above two cases are occurring in corrosive environment. No Hiti Bolts are Acceptable as well for above case.

Please find the two cases attached with the link below

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could install an embed plate with anchor rod couplers welded to the underside.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Can you please explain with picture i couldn't understand sorry, Please not the anchor bolt is subjected to shear and moment

Will the column have to be removed and re-installed more than once? Or is this a one time thing?

If this is a one time thing you may have consider an embedded plate and welding the baseplate to the embedded plate. When need to be removed just grind off and re-weld later. Obviously not a solution if this is being removed frequently.

I think what KookK was getting at was welding a coupler to the underside of the baseplate (coupler would be cast in concrete) then you could thread your anchor bolt down through the baseplate into the coupler.

Any body having alternate solution can please post there views, It is difficult to weld and cut many times hence embeded plate with weld could not be used.

As JAE mentioned, you just need couplers on your anchor rods. You don't need to have a cast in plate. I only suggested one to ensure accurate placement of the couplers. You could also achieve that with a forwork template.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

By the way is there any couplers would rotate with anchor rod , or some sand might fall inside the coupler and would result in a mess .
Just intrested to know more .

Here's a similar condition using couplers. If you're worried about sand and plastic caps won't do, you can get metal caps.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine a solution that:

1) doesn't project above the surface,
2) doesn't involve welding.
3) doesn't involve couplers.

Your problem may be over constrained.

20150217%20future%20column.jpeg

I don't think that coupler rotation will be a problem. However, if you're worried about it, have the couplers welded to an embedded plate.

You could drop the top of your cap 8" below grade, install normal anchor bolts, and fill the 8" with lean mix concrete to be chipped out and sandblasted later.

I would specify F1554 anchor rods and, per the recommendations of the F1554 specification, either A194-2H or A563-DH heavy hex coupling nuts which can be galvanized. If you foresee welding any of this hardware, I'd stick with grade 36 F1554 hardware. I think that the other grades can be made weldable but I wouldn't bother trying unless grade 36 didn't work out for some reason.

As an alternate path to consider: If the crane access is just temporary and only a few columns need to be removed and restored, can you just protect your original cast in place anchor rods by using a combination of timber (crane) mats and compacted fill? This can be removed later, leaving the anchor rods undamaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back