Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specific gravities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroleum
May 15, 2003
US
Where can I find a chart or formula to calculate specific gravities for Petroleum oil and water at above 62 degrees. Specifically around 100 degrees?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For water, use the steam tables.

For oil, I assume you mean the change in SG from its value at 60F or standard temperature. The GPSA Engineering data book has a generalized chart that I typically use. It's likely published also in a lot of other reference books. There won't be much change in SG from going from 60F to 100F, not more than 1% or 2% for an oil.

The GPSA curve shows the SG as a function of temperature and SG at 60F. What I've done is developed the formula for the slope of those lines (they are linear over a reasonable temperature range) and then set up my own equation to estimate the new SG given the temperature and the SG at 60F.

70577(PET.)

Thanks TD2K for the info.Interested in that formula, or the principles behind it.I'm new in the business and my reference data base is not where I need it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back