Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

specification and detailing of press plate trusses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggyjconfer

Structural
Jan 31, 2002
US
Do you know of any good resources for the engineer of record to use in specifying and detailing bidder designed press plate trusses? Also good typical details?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ANSI/NDS TPI 1-1995 is the national design standard for wood trusses. All of the building codes refer to it for truss design. There is a main volume, and a commentary and appendicies volume. They are both small books, less than 150 pages. But between the two they have everything you would need to know, and must know to design wood trusses. The truss design software does not matter, all have these standards are built in to them. The TPI does not have a web site, their office is located in WI(608)833-5900. Also for more info on trusses check out Wood truss council of America web site WoodTruss.com. Lots of good info.

If you have an reputable truss manufacturer in your area couldn't you just specify manufactured trusses and give the span, spacing and loads. The truss mfg company I used to deal with in Leavenworth, WA had design software that also cut the wood and positioned it robotically. The only human contact was to feed wood into the truss machine.

Greetings,

I want to beef up the load handling ability of some existing 2" x 4" syp trusses which are constructed with small metal plates. I would like to cut larger (much larger than the metal plates) pieces of plywood and glue and attach these new oversized wood truss plates over the existing metal plates.
Is liquid nails the best glue to use?
Can I use a staple gun or is nails the best choice? What length?
Will 1/4" plywood be the best thickness plywood to use?
I considered getting larger metal plates with predrilled holes but the cost gets way high for say 12" or larger plates, then I would have to hand nail these plates to boot.
Any advise welcomed.
Thanks,
SGC

Best left to someone that specializes in wood truss design and has the specialized software to provide a solution on a timely cost-effective basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back