Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spec'ing out a Cooling water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmn8226

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of spec'ing out a centrifugal water pump for an air compressor that is going for an offshore platform. This will cool a compressor that will be used for utility air. The cooling characteristics for the compressor are as follows:

Cooling water flow is at 39GPM
Max Cooling water pressure is 100 PSI
Max cooling water temp at inlet of the pump is 109.4F

The connections are going to be a 2" line for the inlet and outlet.

What are some of the things I should need to spec out a pump for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to several pump vendor's sites (e.g. and use their freeware to find a pump that meets your needs. Then look at the attributes of that pump and use that as a basis to spec your pump. You will have to specify more than what they give, e.g. lubrication types, seal type(s) motor specifics, but that should give you a start.

Yow will also have to find out about and specify metallurgical considerations based on the seawater application so go cruise the "Saltwater Corrosion Engineering" forum as well as some of the "Materials Engineering" group of fora.

I am doing exactly this task at work (a little more flow than your requirement) and the Spec is a 4 page document.

rmw

Contact a couple of major pump companies with your reqirement - the pump selection is about a 2 minute job for anyone who knows what they are doing.
Can't see the need to be writing spec's for a bog-standard end-suction process pump available off the shelf from probably a dozen different manufacturers.

You'll need to provide the suction pressure, at the very least.

I would assume that you want an in-line pump, as space is usually an issue on offshore platforms.

You'll want to specify materials that are compatible with your cooling water, and easily available (look at pump manufacturer's sites for that). You'll probably want a mechanical seal. You'll also need to specify paint systems required, and electrical requirements. And whatever end connections you want for your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back