Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spine model

Status
Not open for further replies.

daverudolf

Bioengineer
Sep 28, 2009
US
Hi folks,

I am not really a biomech eng, but am an animation researcher who is looking to build a model of the human spine (and surrounding tissue as necessary). Really, I have position and orientation information for the pelvis, cranium, and two humerus bones (and the position of their attached joints). I then want to be able to estimate positions and orientations for the vertebrae. Can anyone point me to some literature that might help me out?

Thanks,

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ya, the assumption that the whole spine is rigid gets violated pretty quickly. If the subject even slouches a little bit, then the model is overconstrained. That simple case we can handle, but if the subject twists their torso or goes into the fetal position, etc, then things get ugly. We tried to represent the spine as a chain of rigid objects that essentially have ball-and-socket constraints between them, and then we add forces to try and drive the chain toward a rest configuration. That mostly works, but there are cases where the spine moves in very unnatural ways. So, I was wondering what other people had done to represent the curvature of the spine during arbitrary movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back