Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spline Standards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philrock

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2001
US
I understand that SAE standard B92.1 has been withdrawn and there is no superseding standard. I also understand that B92.2M is current and applies to metric module splines. What is the main current standard covering inch/diametral pitch splines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have recently completed a spline design, male by female, for high torsional usage in the oilfield.

I used a design from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) which was pulled from a textbook, Machine Design Datum Handbook, K Linghaiah, 1994 [ISBN 0-07-037933-5], pg 17.10. In addition to geometry, several equations are provided for performance, stress-strain, maximum applied torque, shear, contact area, the list goes on.

There are several alternate geometriesSAE and American Standard in addition to the Indian Standard Tables, pg 17.16. Dimensions are listed for metric and imperial, depending on the quoted specification.

I find this textbook to be an absolute rocking reference. If you want to spend a few sheckles, this would be quite the investment.

Hope this helps you out.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

I don't think that ANSI-B92.1 Involute spline standard has been withdrawn. It is still the main standard being used by major commercial and aircraft companies in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back