Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

split slab concrete parking deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mck26

Structural
Oct 2, 2012
US
I have a split slab parking deck project in northern climate. It is a steel framed floor with a reinforced concrete slab. A waterproof membrane was adhered to the slab then protected by a protection board and a 3" concrete surface topping. The topping has caulked saw cut joints at 7' on center each way. The entire system slopes at 1/4" per foot to multi level drains. The construction is 7 years old. The concrete topping is cracking all over and spalling. The topping has observed cracking days after initial placement. The argument is that a drainage board was not specified or provided. We have multiple parking deck projects in northern climates that are much older without showing concrete topping damage. Does anyone have parking projects that utilized this type of system successfully (split slab with membrane, without drainage board)? Is there any national standards or research that I can reference?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type of protection board? if soft, then 3" topping may crack due to displacement.

May have been further ahead using a membrane and traffic surface...

Dik

No, it was a hard protection board.

Photos of the deck would be helpful. Might be a bad mix.

In Russia building design you!

Was the topping reinforced?

"We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us." -WSC

Sorry, no pictures.
No the topping was not reinforced.

Any idea of the concrete mix design, strength, slump, etc?

Dik

Temperature and shrinkage cracks were controlled by the 7'x7' sawcut grid.
Concrete was a normal 3000psi air entrained mix with standard slump and normal weight aggregate.

Standard slump may be too high and 3000 psi is too low... 7'x7' panels for 3" concrete with wheel loads may be a tad too large, in particular, on driving isles...

Dik

3ksi is too low in my opinion, especially for a northern freeze/thaw climate with auto traffic.

If the slabs are cracking days after initial placement (presumably before they're being driven on), it strikes me as unlikely it's a climate or traffic issue causing it (though I agree 3ksi might be too low).

Brian C Potter

Any idea of the placing conditions? Hot, cold, calm, windy, clear, cloudy, etc. All may have a bearing on outcome...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back