Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spreader Beam Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

WideMike

Structural
Nov 15, 2002
US
I'm in the process of designing a spreader beam for an erection contractor. Anyone know of any kind of reference outlining design criteria, applicable codes, allowable stresses, etc? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi WideMike:

I've done lots of them (not in USA) and must say I am surprised by the lack of codes governing the design of such equipment. So I think you're pretty much on your own with this one.

I'll assume you are lifting hardware and not human beings.

I use the code for the design of steel buildings. It is quite relevant and applicable.

Add at least 33% to your expected load to account for possible impact loading. Generally I'll add 50% or even 100% depending on how expensive the lift is. After that, design is straightforward using classic beam theory. Don't forget about possible axial forces, or else specify the slings to be nearly vertical.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

There is an excellent article in the AISC Engineering Journal written by David T. Ricker that addresses many aspects of lifting beam design. He also included some worked out examples as well. The article is in the EJ, fourth quarter, 1991. I used this article many times over the eyars.

I believe you can down load the article by visiting I am not sure there are fees associated or not.

Good luck.

Gateblock(Structural)
In addition to the AISC article mentioned a governing code is ANSI B30.20 Below the Hook Lifting Devices. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back