Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spring cracking pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccc123

Mechanical
May 17, 2006
PS
For air piping application after the air receiver tank, 2" ss check valves will be installed. I think we are going to select UN3 type from CHECKALL VALVES manufacturer.in the manufacturer datasheets it was shown some values for the spring cracking pressure and standard cracking pressure, the values are .125 , .500 , 1.50 , and 3.50. The pressure rate for UN3 valve is 1500 psi. I need to know exactly the meaning of spring cracking pressure :

For example : 0.500 , does it mean that the spring will crack at pressure which is 50% more than the pressure rate of the valve (1500) ?

Does any one know if this type of valve UN3/CHECKALL VALVE is suitable for air piping application ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well its surely not cracking at 3.5 times the valve pressure rating, unless its the valve cracking to pieces :)

Most spring cracking values refer to the pressure differential at which the valve will start to open. My guess is that this one refers to a pressure in Barg. Verify that with the mfgr.

Check valves are designed to crack at small pressures so the flow will be unimpeded in the forward direction, but blocked from flowing backward. The only advantage to having a higher cracking pressure is that the valve will assuredly be closed when the flow stops and before it can reverse. If a check valve hangs open until the flow well and truly reverses, then when it DOES close there is very violent water hammer and pieces of the piping system can be dislodged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back