Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprinkler Coverage and Loft Beds: Coverage Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

generuss

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
CA
As I mentioned before my building went through a fire inspection and the inspector says I am in violation in regards to sprinkler coverage. Some of my tenants have built loft beds within their space using the underside as closets and storage. Can something other than sprinkler heads be used for this type of configuration. In one of the units a tenant bought a prefabricated loft bed in which the inspector accepted. What is the difference? Is their a max height requirements for such beds? I recently was at a super store that was newly constructed. In this store they displayed loft beds where there were no sprinklers installed underneath. Thank you gouveia and mfpd for your replies and help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My honest suggestion is to consult your Fire Inspector or Fire Inspection Bureau and find out exactly what they will approve. The Inspector has the ultimate authority of approval and should provide you with details and even previously approved manufacturers of the systems that they will accept.

One word of caution, approach them with a "I would like your assistance" type attitude, let them help you, if you are forward or argumentative, they will tell you to find the information yourself. The key is to use them not abuse them.

Good luck

Cablepro is correct in that you will need to work closely with the fire marshall, as he will be the final authority.

Also, let me preface this by stating that it would be good practice to install the sprinklers under these "lofts", as you are likley referring to a dormitory type facility, and sprinklers are one of the greatest life safety tools available. However, below is some help to exclude the sprinklers (again, which I don't recommend)

Are these sprinklers Listed Residential, or Standard Spray sprinklers. If standard spray, you may be able to argue that heads are not required under the beds if they are less than 48" in width. Also, are these beds "fixed in place?" If not, this may also be used to avoid sprinklers under them.....

From NFPA 13, 2002
8.5.5.3* Obstructions that Prevent Sprinkler Discharge from Reaching the Hazard. Continuous or noncontinuous obstructions that interrupt the water discharge in a horizontal plane more than 18 in. (457 mm) below the sprinkler deflector in a manner to limit the distribution from reaching the protected hazard shall comply with 8.5.5.3.
8.5.5.3.1 Sprinklers shall be installed under fixed obstructions over 4 ft (1.2 m) wide such as ducts, decks, open grate flooring, cutting tables, and overhead doors.
8.5.5.3.2 Sprinklers shall not be required under obstructions that are not fixed in place such as conference tables.

One last option is to bring up:
8.6.5.2.1.4* For light and ordinary hazard occupancies, structural members only shall be considered when applying the requirements of 8.6.5.2.1.3.

If you are talking about a loft area, it is likely light hazard, so the only obstructions that MUST be considered are structural members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back