Sprinkler Design - Hydraulic Calculation Using a Booster pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC-Eng.

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2019
MD
Hello,

I am a sprinkler engineer assistant trying to complete a hydraulic calculation using a booster pump, I have the performance curve for booster pump (attached). I am using the FIRE sprinkler design program. I know how to input a performance curve into the program what I do need some advice is on how to select a curve from all the performance curves that was given to me for this specific 500 GPM booster pump model 43x4x9.5f.

Can anyone explain what "total head in psi" and BHP means and how to select the right curve and why?

Thank you very much to all,

-FC-ENG.

ATTACHEMENT:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You didn't attach anything. These are questions that may be best handled in person with your mentor. You mention you are a sprinkler engineer assistant. Can you boss / supervisor help with this stuff?

As far as flow/psi goes with the curves, you can pick the curve that best suits your needs. You may want to go to something like and use their pump selection program. I like that site for producing the easiest to use pump curves.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, LLC

@TravisMack(Mechanical)

Yes my supervisor taught us how to do it, he just went fast for me and I dont remember much, he also went on vacation :/.
I was hoping anyone can give me link on where to read about booster pump curve selection and how it works.

Either way, thanks very much for your time.
P.S I edited the post and added the link.

For your building, which automatic sprinkler system has the greatest hydraulic demand at the highest elevation from the water supply?

For hydraulic calculations, you want to use one of the six curves listed under "Total Head in PSI". Those six curves represent the pump performance of different impeller sizes that are available with this model. You should select the curve that, when added to the water supply curve, will cover the demand point of your system (sprinkler demand or standpipe demand, whichever is greater). The BHP (Boiler Horsepower) curves are the power requirements of the pump, which aren't critical in the hydraulic calculations. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back