Sprinkler for Restroom Full Height cubicles. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJP-21

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2020
US
Hello everyone,

just like to get some advice if im required to provide sprinkler on each cubicle of the restroom?

is there any code on NFPA 13 where i can get an exception?

currently looking and it seems i need to provide head on all of them but it doesnt look right.

Please see attached images. Thank you and stay safe.

Toilet_Cubicle_zeptwh.jpg

Toilet_Cubicle_2_iix8i1.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the doors the same height as partitions ??

And side partitions come up to one inch below ceiling??

If yes to all

Yes I would say 13 requires them in each cubicle

Lower the door ??

Ill coordinate the cubicle doors to the architect,
i might get by with shadow area of NFPA 13.

Thank you cdafd for the response.

Yeah, you might get by with the shadow area rule and just put a sprinkler over every other partition. Sounds like a solid approach, getting the AHJ to see it your way might be another issue. :)

I am not sure the shadow area concept can be applied here since we are talking for fully enclosed spaces. The idea for every other cubicle though seems reasonable since these spaces are typically of limited combustibility and might be a good trade-off for not overcharging the system. Is the concealed space above sprinklered?

If the walls go to the deck, you aren't going to be able to throw around them. You may need to be in every one. In that case, I'd be looking at K2.8 sprinklers.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, a Ferguson Enterprise

If you have a remote area of 1500 sf or more, you can omit the sprinklers in the individual stalls from the calculations. NFPA 13 §27.2.4.7.2 2019 ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back