Jan 13, 2018
US
going on 4th week without meaningful work or assignments,

company hiring designers like crazy, up to 20 now,

thoughts? advice?

2nd year nicet 2 designer here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

keep in mind 4 weeks is 9% of the work year.

they gave me two ti's last week that don't even have project schedules yet and are probably a year away from any work in field.

when i was pounding a 6 pack a day after work i had meaningful projects, this is crazy

May I be frank? With the chosen name you use, plus some of the comments posted, it seems like you are either unhappy with your position or unhappy with the industry. Do you want out? Does your company think you may want out? If you are wanting to stay in the industry and with your company then maybe below will be of some help.

The company may be trying to hire a lot of designers right now because they are very hard to find at this time. There is a lot of work going on and everyone I know is quite slammed. Your company may be planning for some work that is coming down the pipe that you may not be aware of just yet.

Maybe you could take some of this down time and spend it studying and better understanding NFPA 13, 13R, 14, 20, 24 and the IBC/IFC for your area. Spend some time becoming more familiar with the software you are using so you become more proficient at it. Use this slow time to improve your knowledge of the work your company is doing.

Hopefully things pick up for you soon. This is a pretty amazing industry and can provide a nice career if you can stick it out.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

that's not it travis

i have a bsme and a month or two ago passed my nicet 1 and 2s , that isn't cheap talk there is effort and money behind them

love sprinklers and designing and the industry.

I assume you have taken the FE exam by this point. With the BSME and NICET 2, you should be able to find quite rewarding work. Put feelers out in the local market. It shouldn't take more than 5 calls to get an interview and new job. Now, if you run into the same problems at a new place, you have to look at the only constant - that would be yourself. But, it is quite probable that your current company is just not a good fit for you or them. You may not align with the vision or mission of the owner(s). However, you may find a switch to another company where you align and thrive.

I wish you the best of luck. If there is any other way those of us on here can help, just ask away.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

thanks a lot guys, i think you hit the nail on the head travis and today i was able to secure an in-person interview/meet with another local company which i'm very excited about. i'm really looking forward to getting back to designing, learning, moving forward and being busy. last few weeks i got payed xx per hour to basically be a chess player, so i can say i was a professional chess player in my lifetime, too!!

very much appreciated responses.

Congrats man. What state are you in? I may know some one in the area to get your feet in the door if this one you mention doesn't pan out.

I can say with certainty when you find a place that you align with the owner's vision and mission it is great. In the past, I worked for a great guy, but our vision just didn't align. 20 years later and we are still friends, but we just didn't align in working together. Heck, we have had contracts where he worked for me and where I worked for him. That is why you never want to burn a bridge in this industry. You never know when you will cross paths again.

But, awhile after leaving that company, I found a spot with a company where everyone was aligned in vision and mission. It was one of the best places I ever worked. It was tough to leave that place. I only did to start my current company. I am still friends with one of the owners to this day as well.

So again, best of luck.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC
"Follow" us at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back