Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sprinkler Test Gauge Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhamer

Structural
Jul 5, 2012
US
I have been passed a question if there are any requirements on test gauges for sprinkler pipe testing. A building manufacturer wants to test the sprinkler piping installed in their facility before it leaves, to make sure the piping does not leak and holds required pressure before it reaches the final site and the rest of the sprinkler system is connected. Once connected it will be put through acceptance testing. The inspector I work with has asked if I had any knowledge of requirements for the test gauges used for testing of the sprinkler pipe. We are used to plumbing code requirements where the gauges have to have increments defined on their full pressure. As we are generally not involved in sprinkler acceptance testing, requirements on the gauges used have not been brought up before. The testing is being done to meet quality control obligations of the building manufacturer. Are there sections in NFPA 13 or 25, annexes or even another standard they I may be overlooking to find requirements on the test gauges or is it ok to default to plumbing code requirements on test gauges?

EIT, Modular Building Industry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well

You cannot lose any pressure

And guessing you are testing at 200 psi 2 hours minimum??

So a gauge that works and you can tell one pound loose of pressure

Test pressure, I am not aware of right at this moment. Fielding a question from one of the inspectors I work with. The concern was if there were guidelines for test gauges similar to plumbing codes, where test gauges must have incremental marks of 2 psi or less on gauges over 100 psi. The jurisdiction in question uses the NFPA 13-2007.

My answer is still no

Normally pipe is tested to 200 psi for 2 hours

No visible leakage

No loss of pressure

So I would want a gauge that shows if it loses a pound or two. Not like ten pound increments..

Once the mods are set, and hooked up, the entire system should go through another pressure test. I understand that you want to test in the factory for any leaks. So a gauge that shows even minor pressure loss..

I guess a question, are you being required to certify your portion, at the factory???? AS in third party testing,,,, Or just want to test in factory to assure at that time there were no leaks?????????

For this the quality control process has to determine that the piping is installed properly (meets approved plans) and that it holds pressure with no leaks at the time of final assembly at the manufacturing facility. The test here will have no bearing on final acceptance and operational testing when the full system is interconnected. In this case the inspector would be a third party monitoring the manufacturer's quality control processes and testing. Due to inspectors experience with general potable water plumbing and testing requirements of IPC/UPC where gauges have to be tick marks at specific intervals; they were wanting to confirm the gauges did not need to be more accurate, or need to have a specific working range like 1.5x or 2x the system pressure.

And thanks Cdafd for the questions and answers. I get questions from the inspectors to run through the books and do code look ups, so a lot of the time I do not have all of the details of what is going on.

As far as I know there is no specification.

If I am looking at it I would like to see at least 2 LB increments,

There should be no visible leak, so there should be no drop in pressure anyway.

I thought using a certified gauge would be a good idea. So I bought some certified gauges. I removed a plug, and installed a certified gauge, and tested the pressure. Every certified gauge gave a different pressure reading with the used gauge. I pulled a certified gauge, installed a certified gauge. Every certified gauge gave a different reading. I contacted the gauge company and was told that they never have that result and would not make any adjustment. I would like to see if anyone else found different readings.

I have seen certified gauges do all kinds of stuff,,, including not working out of the box

Not sure why the concern on hydro
Pump it up , mark the gauge or now a days take a picture

Walk the visible parts of the system for leaks

If none and the gauge has not moved ,, test approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back