Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ST - V21 - V20

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmoh

Industrial
Mar 1, 2008
AU
Hi All,

I'm just about to update my maintenance and upgrade to V20.

Has anyone installed ST and used it solely in traditional mode?

I’m tempted to play, but as 75% of my work is with Sheetmetal I’ll be sticking with V20, but I’m curious whether the traditional mode (template selection) is worth a look? As a MS power-user I’m quite fond of the new ribbon menu first introduced with Office 2007 and was wondering how productive ST really is!
Down here In NZ we slightly behind the times with seminars etc, so I have yet to see ‘ST’ in all its glory ;-)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

V21 (trad. mode) has all that V20 has plus a few enhancements plus
that ---- GUI that's all. You can work in ST-Mode but you arn't
forced to do

dy

As Don says, only UI is different and if you like the ribbon then why not make the move. Big advantange is that you will get a chance to play with and therefore get your head around ST in the meantime - it is a totally different way of working. ST sheet metal will available in the next release (Q2 2009) and I reckon it will be good.
Tony

thanks Guys,

Do you think that there are any performance issues. I can successfully run V20 on my oldish system, has the new enviroment got any hidden system munchers [surprise]

Ha, My mouse is wearing down.....
I'm clicking myself crazy.

Ribbonbar is not working for me. I'm constantly taking an extra click to switch from tabs, maybe i'm doing something terribly wrong?

So is it worth making the switch to ST?? We are on 15 now and it has served us well for what we do but we are starting to get into more complex sheet metal parts and are starting to notice limitations more and more.... How's the sheet metal option on ST?

Thanks

Tom...

tominsky67, V21 sheetmetal isn't ST yet.

Before switching the ST generally I'd strongly recomend taking a real good look at all the implications - training, updateing any 'best practices' etc.

It's almost like a new software, except it can directly read in your existing files.

It offers some really neet stuff from a modelling point of view, I just havn't got my head around some issues - especially getting robust item definition that supports tolerancing and inspections.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at

I am sticking with the traditional tree based constrained sketch history mode. I like the new UI, but ST is too different, and I cannot do relatively easy things with it. I also crashed it whilst one of the UK resellers was watching via Beam Your Screen!

It is very difficult to model in ST and achieve acceptable constraints. Try drawing a simple hexagonal plate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back