Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STAAD and Xsteel? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleisher

Structural
Oct 10, 2002
US
I just read a press release on REI's site ( claims they are now working with Tekla (the makers of a steel detailing product called Xsteel) to create a building product called Xengineer. I have seen the modeling portion of Xengineer which is the same as Xsteel and is very powerful. With REI's market and product leadership as well as Xsteel's dominance in the detailing side, does this mean the end for the other smaller players out there or time for them to partner up and consolidate? A colleague of mine in Atlanta has seen a preview of this product and it's capabilities and says its pretty good. 3D modeling, analysis, design, drafting, BOM, etc. Any opinions? I like the fact that there is more products working together. Makes my like more easier.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sure that Xsteel is an excellent package but I have heard, from this forum, that Staad is not as accurate as it needs to be. I am not covinced that this sort of software works. I expect it is great for bog standard office blocks or portal sheds but the rigid application of codes is not what structural engineering is about. There are problems that cannot be solved by sticking equations into a computer; it should be viewed as just another tool and not the answer to all our problems.

I think it is good for the industry and don't think the smaller players will be left out. Consultants like myself don't always need "huge" products. I use STAAD and it works great. I don't see the need of getting (or paying!) for something more unless it really improves my efficiency. For some it may, and for others like me, it may not.

Isn't the AISC's CIS/2 project supposed to integrate all these products?

CIS/2 is and already does integrate the two. But apparently, they are physically combining the products into one - they refer to it as a "tight integration" so you don't have to deal with importing files and re-exporting them.

I dont know that this will work to the degree which these software houses expect.

A) wont it be hugely expensive as these products arent cheap if purchased separately - (although I dont know who the licensing will be with - presumably Tekla as they seem to be paying RE for the use of STAAD).

B) An awful reliance is being placed on the modelling system transferring data to the underlying analysis. It just seems that there is room for further error.

I think they will have to enter into a large educational arena to convince engineers it is the way to go - especially if it is expensive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back