Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

STAAD vs. competitiors 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark10

Structural
May 17, 2001
US
My question is about which FEA software, with concrete plate design ability, is the best for the US. It seems that STAAD is the most popular and has the majority of the market. What are your opinions of STAAD overall and would you recommend buying it compared with competitors? I have reviewed STAAD, Robot, SAP200, IES VisualAnalysis, RISA 3D(No Concrete until 2002), and STRAP, but it is very hard to get a good grasp of the programs with demo versions and limited experience. From past threads it seems that RISA is the best, with STAAD offering many problems. Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me correct one thing about ROBOT software since I am in California, using it for more than 5 years.
It includes detailed design capabilities for steel (per ASD and LRFD, with member check and optimization) and concrete (per ACI edition 99, with calculation of required and provided reinforcement).
ROBOT software is definitely a comprehensive FE analysis and design tool for American engineers. Its graphical interface and Windows environment are far more advanced than other US products.

What about a good program for analysing an exisiting concrete slab/wall conbination, where the reinforcement is already in place.

Nick35

I didn't say that it's not good for American. I've been testing 14.1 millen. since Dec. The modules you quote are there but many others are still not available for US codes.

Chandr

Even if you took the modules that weren't to American codes out of the software you'd be left with a better product than most that are out there, particularly STAAD.

I agree with Nick35 about the graphics especially when creating slabs as it has an surface generator, you apply loads and properties to surfaces and then let the software auto mesh, brilliant! A concept STAAD have yet to realise.

The front end to ROBOT has many features you would associate with a bigger FE preprocessor like Femap which makes it great for more complex geometry.

This is a great forum going here.

I also think STAAD leaves alot to be desired. I am currently trying to use it to analyze a steel building. I created the original file with STAAD Pro 2000. I now have the latest STAAD Pro 2001 and it crashes when I try to open the original input file. The ROBOT software sounds good. Would someone please tell me where I can get it? Are demo versions available?

Thanks.

this the great discussion.
i am using staad for my thesis.
i have modeled a shaft supported tank in staad.
i find difficulty in generating circular slab.also its inbuilt wind load generator is not working.
problems with seismic loading is also there.
when u applied hydrostatic load on element i get difficulty in converting it to seismic loading.also the results of hydrostatic load on element is not matched perfectly.

We are using STRAP. We bought it because, at the time, it was the only structural design software with light gauge steel capabilities that could be had at a reasonable price. Comments: VERY, VERY cumbersome. No printed manual (hard copy) included. Technical support: A "Call-in-leave-a-message" system. Allow min. 24 hours.

I am being told that ROBOT is much more user-friendly. Any comments from ROBOT users?

It is a great discussion... I also used STAAD and I don't trust the results too much. I wanted to get a Structural Analysis(FEA)/Design software I looked as GTStrudl/Robot13/SAP/Etabs and I decided to go with GTStrudl. But I really liked ROBOT. The only reason I did not go with it, is because most of the modules did not support American codes (Specially ACI). I think Strudl is a GREAT program but with the advent of New/Powerful Graphical Interface technology, it is a shame that they r still using the old stuff. I am considering Robot 14.xx very seriously unless, GTStrudl is revamping their interface with Verstion 26. Any input will greatly be appreciated

Hi, chandr

I have been searching for a site that will let me download a demo version of prokon. All of them give me error 404 or similar.

Do you know of a download site that is current ?

chandr: we must stop meeting like this! However, although i can reach the site, its links still (/again?) return error messages to me (10.30 am Australian EST)

Anyone interested in doing post-tensioned or RC elevated slabs or mat-foundations should consider FLOOR. A free demonstration version is available at
Big advantages over other packages include:

1) Highly intuitive graphical interface and design process translates to minimal learning time.

2) Automatic meshing!! Just draw the slab outline, supports, and openings and the FE mesh will be automatically generated with the click of a button.

3) Full application of post-tensioning forces into the system, including PT loads introduced into the system due to geometric irregularities or eccentric tendons. I have done extensive verification and found the results to be highly accurate.

4) Responsive and helpful customer support.

In my opinion, for the design of post-tensioned slab systems, FLOOR is the only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back