Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stability calculation for truck mounted cranes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guideon

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2006
IL
Hi everyone,

I was looking for a std to calculate stability of truck mounted crane. Recently I found an australian std "australian code of practice for crane installation on truck" (I think it is a part of 1418 au std), and I found it simple and practical.
But, when I tried to solve the example given at the std I realized that I missunderstand several things, I hope you can help me..
First, in appendix 5 (page 13):
-from the figure, the crane C.O.G coincides with the stabilizer line. Is it a particular case, or a design requirement when the boom is perpendicular to the tipping line?
-if not, how can I find the C.O.G of the crane when the boom is in it's max outreach? (I only found the C.O.G of crane - Fassi- in a stowed possition).
-why the crane rotation axis is a little bit shifted from the truck longitudinal axis (it is not on the truck axis).
Second, the equations under the figure (page 13), contain the F parameter (=3.45 m) to determine the tipping moment and the tipping load, but there is no F designated at the figure. I guess that this should be the distance between the tipping line and the S.W.L , but I am not sure, it could be also a virtual dimention..

Thanks, Guideon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry for the inopperative link at the original masssge. The correct link was uploaded by cloa (Petroleum).

Thank, Guideon

Hi Determ

I have ISO 4310 but unfortunately it is not practical enough for the purpose I need. If you looked at the attached std you'll see the difference.
I do not have the other std you stated, and hence I do not know if it answers my questions. If you are familiar with these stds/ subject- I will appreciate your help.

Thanks, Guideon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back