Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stacked Vessels 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angsi

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2003
MY
Can someone please share their experience on designing stacked pressure vessels? Besides subjecting the lower vessel with the weight of the upper vessel, nozzle alignment/loading issues, shimming requirements, local load analysis of the lower vessel shell (which supports the weight of the upper vessel), etc. etc. are there another other design headaches that come with this?

Has anyone here designed and installed stacked vessels before? Would you still do it if other alternatives exist?

Thanks in advance. (b.t.w., A516 70 mat to Div 1, offshore application)

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stacked vessels are very common. Putting that additional load on the lower vessel is not much different than if it were a single vessel on a skirt. Using the Compress vessel program makes this type of design vessel simple.

Take a look at the banner add on top of the page for Pauling and check the one for FE/PIPE.

Additional Technical design for foundation:

STE03360 - Heat Exchanger and Horizontal Vessel Foundation Design Guide.

Please explane how or and tehnical reference artical for Thermal expansion of intermediated

nozzles:

The approach theory is that a heat exchanger stacked is moving differently on the saddle due to thermal expansion and intermediated nozzles have stress to maintain shape.

Need the Team membeer Help:
Know how much force is operating on nozzles and the nozzles can end up with stress.

I'm more of a Vessel Abuser than a Vessel Engineer but one thing that comes to mind is to consider the differential temperature between the skirt/support for the upper vessel and that of the supporting vessel.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

I have recently done a Zick Analysis for 3 stacked heat exchangers on the support design. AIA commented that this type of anaylsis is not recommended and that I should perform a FEA to determine bucling effects.

Comments would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back