Stainless Still Anchor Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirei17

Civil/Environmental
Oct 23, 2013
ID
Hi,
I am new to this forum and i am no expert.
So, in short, mechanical department asked me to buy anchor bolt for their equipment. It is decided to use SUS 316 anchor bolt. I refer to ASTM A193 B8M class 1 with ASTM A194 grade 8M (heavy hex) for nut. For washers, i am not sure as to what specification should i use.
If refer to ASTM F436 (hardened flat washer), it seems that it does not apply for SUS 316.
What specification of washer that apply with SUS 316? And should i use round hardened flat washer or square plate / plate washer? For information, the hole size of my base plate is 40mm and anchor size would be M30 (30mm). We use metric here in Indonesia.
Thanks for your kind attention.
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these anchor bolts to be cast in place or are you considering post-installed anchors such as wedge anchors or adhesive anchors?

If post-installed wedge anchors, those come as an assembly with the nut and washer included. If adhesive anchors, those are usually not sold as assemblies, so you'll have to buy nuts and washers separately. Unless you have very high loads or oversized bolt holes in the attachment, plate washers are probably not necessary. Hardened washers are usually not necessary unless you are using high strength bolts. Most stainless steel washers are not hardened as with high strength steel washers.

Thanks Ron,
It is a 4-leg LNG vaporizer with only one anchor for each leg, so i assume it could be cast-in-place. Though, having a template before setting out the anchor prior to pouring would be a nice idea.

I have just asked portland bolt, and the answer is that no ASTM specification exist for SUS 316 washer. What i am confused with is, without a dimension standard as a guide, should i have to calculate myself for the dimension and thickness of the washer? And then fabricate a plate washer / square plate from SUS 316 plate?

In your answer, plate washer is not needed, so i assume you know what dimension specification to use with this material. Before, i only familiar with hardened flat washer (F-436). I also know other standard, but it is ASME standard (ASME B.18.22). Sadly, i do not have a copy of this standard, right now, so i could not make any progress.

I have further asked some practical people about this matter. Someone recommended me DIN 125. So round washer in SUS 316 does exist, but not in ASTM. Currently googling DIN 125.

Does anyone here know, what type of application DIN 125 washers are subject at? Is it applicable to use as round washer (on top of base plate) for anchor tensile requirement of 71 kN?

For M30 anchor, i found that the outside diameter is 56mm and inside is 31mm, while base plate hole diameter is 40mm. I am about to calculate myself the strength of this washer but considering there is no support, i cannot consider it as simple beam model. There is probably buckling/warping etc and currently i can not find a standard for calculating washer. So instead of calculating, i feel that it is better to just refer to the standard for mechanical properties and recommendation for type of application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back