Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stairway down a rock cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJC3

Structural
Dec 2, 2005
US
I am trying to design a stairway to decend a 100' rock cliff. What is the best method to secure the structure without too much rock drilling? My intial thoughts are to drill holes for rebar and pour small concrete pads on top of the rock at each post location. The access to each of these areas will be very limited.

Any thoughts?

Here are some pics of the proposed location.

[]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you build a standard RC stairwell from the base of the rock face to the top, similiar to what you'd do in a new tall concrete building.

You could then tie it back into the rock face at intervals to give it additional support, but you could do this from inside the stairwell - ie a safer working environment.

This is a very nicely layered rock formation. I'd tie the stair to the face with some nice long rock bolts. They should go in through 2-4 layers. 'Little' drilling is probably out of the question. Make sure the stair has landings and very good hand rails. Who will own this stairway? If a public entity, they may have to abide by ADA requirements. If for worker access, OSHA will rule.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

I can't help but wonder if you could just cut the steps straight out of the rock face and attach a hand rail.

It would look much nicer.

Thanks for the comments. This will be for private access only. I would like to just have access to the water below as well as the property as well. A third of my land is down there and currently unacccessable unless by water.

I would like the stairs to blend in as good as possible to not take away from the view of the cliff.

As in the pictures posted. The only real concern is the first 30' drop. I figured a single staircase with one landing half way down. My intial thoughts are to pour small concrete pads with rebar drilled into the rock to support the stairway at the three locations; top, middle, and bottom.

The bottom half of the stairway is very straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back