Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Color for indicator lights 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfmoore

Electrical
Mar 4, 2003
US
I am looking for an available standard that provides guidance for using indicator lights.

The confusion is that in the Power Industry "Red" is traditionally used to indicate running.

In my manufacturing experience, "Green" is used for running. This is derived I believe from the old "JIC" standard that is no longer supported. Is there an industry standard that specifies or recommends a position

Thanks

William F. Moore

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

electricpete:

The flashing light idea was something I heard from a couple different vendors, back in December or so. For me to call it a "standard" was perhaps misleading, sorry for any confusion. I've not seen anything documented on this.

Woffmore,

And to further muddy the colored waters, don't forget those afflicted with "color-blindness", especially the green-red kind!

Peebee, I hope it wasn't anything like the "bouncing-ball" fiasco that was used to increase traffic thru NYC's Holland-Tunnel, years ago!

Peebee,

The Port of NY/NJ Authority traffic-control guru's installed a number of strobe lights at predetermined distances the length of the tunnel. The idea was for drivers to keep abreast of the "ball of light" as it "flashed" thru the tunnel, thereby maximizing the number of cars the tunnel could accomodate.

The problem... motorists were so intent on watching the bouncing "ball of light" that their driving skills were, well, for lack of a better term, ignored. The result... a major increase in accident-rate!

I'd imagine, sounds like the Pied Piper leading the lemmings into a giant mid-tunnel rear-ender pileup.

I'm kind of surprised no body went into a seizure or hypnosis with all the strobe lights going off.

When did this happen?

My 2 cents.
Green is normal, stop or run. If it runs and green, it should be safe for people to work around it. If it stops and green everything is OK and ready to run.

Red is fault or bad, run or stop. It is dangerous condition. If it runs and red, do not cross or stick your hand in. If it stops and red, call the field service guys.

Yellow is warning. Need filter change or low on oils.

Thx,

dear sir
normally in all power plants which i work G.E &WESTINGHOUSE designs,green colour represent running condition and red is stopping condition,no especial standard is being created for that,but normally green colour is more visable from long distances than red.

Normally, in my experience with motors, amber indicates power available. Green indicates run. Red indicates trouble or fault. If the motor is stopped, then only the amber light will be on.

jbartos:

I would not challenge you or your referance, but this is the city of Portland. Is Kansas City the same? :)

I'm glad that our PLC's can be programed!!! You name it, we do it! :)

for semi automatic machines

red: machine stopped .with fault
yellow: machine running
green: machine ready for part loading unloading
green/yellow: operator needs to push button to resume cycle

Suggestion to peebee: Sometimes, there is not much choice left, if the electrical engineer or designer is working for an architectural firm and things are pretty much set. One has to know who is the boss around.

I still vote with jbartos, with some minor adjustments and additions:
RED “Motor On” and GREEN “Motor Off, Ready. AMBER "Alarm"
This is the way I see it done in most industries. Look at pre=packaged accessories for motor starters from all of the major manufacturers. If you want a "Run" light it is red. Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Here are some more for contemplation...

ALTERNATING RED, GREEN, AMBER = "Jackpot!"
BLUE = "Duck and Cover!"
PURPLE = "Hide! The boss is looking for someone to blame!"
WHITE = "Virgin Operator"
MAUVE = "Redecorate"
ULTRAVIOLET = "Jimi Hendrix Alert"
SWIRLING MULTICOLORS = "Flashback to 1969"
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Too true. Cool idea actually.

We are all so stuck on stodgy practicality that we leave no room for the whimsical in industrial practices.

I vote for the Willy Wonka approach to equipment status indication.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back