Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard elbows in Crane 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Qin

Chemical
May 15, 2020
RO
I was confused by the resistance coefficients in Crane.
For standard elbows K=30ft while K=20ft(r/d=1) for flanged or butt-welding 90° elbows.
There is no any note about standard elbows in Crane.
Why there is big difference between standard elbows and others? and what's standard elbow?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don´t know what the Crane Tp-410 says in its last edition about your question, but in the 2010 edition, see the pages 2-7 and 2-8 that can clarify your doubts.

Look in Appendix A - a "standard" elbow is a threaded/socket weld, tight radius elbow.

For flanged/welded 90 elbows, such as 1.5R "long radius" elbows typically seen in piping, there's a separate formula (14*fT).

Thanks casflo and RVAmeche.
I cannot find the definition about standard elbow in Crane Tp-410. Standard elbow is flanged in Figure 2-8, but from picture about standard elbows (see A-30) it is threaded/socket.
Because of the big difference (K=30ft or 20ft), I'd like to make it clear. Thanks.

I was also confused about K value in Perry's chemical engineer handbook.
K =0.75 for 90° standard elbow (see table 6-4 in Perry's handbook) and there is no definition about standard elbow as Crane TP410.
And K=0.93 for 90° standard-threaded elbow and 0.32 for 90° welded elbow in API 521(see table 9).
What makes the difference? Thanks.

Standard elbows are geometrically dissimilar per Fig. 2-8. Roughly, standard elbows are r/d ~ 1.

I’m pretty sure a threaded joint has more pressure drop than a flanged joint, which has more pressure drop than a butt welded joint.

Good Luck,
Latexman
Pats' Pub's Proprietor

Thanks Latexman.
K=30ft for 90° standard elbow in many handbooks. There is no definition about 90° standard elbow
and joint type is not classified in these handbooks.
I'm also sure threaded joint has more pressure drop than flanged/butt welded joint.
But all the information got from these handbooks confused me.

Note there's a difference between the "K" resistance method and the equivalent length method.

An elbow having equivalent length of 30 ft is not the same thing as K = 1 in a different reference.

Thanks RVAmeche.

screan_wguaak.png

From Table 3-2 Equivalent Length =30 for 90° standard elbow.

There is no definition about standard elbow.

Does that mean equivalent length =30 for 90° standard elbow no mater it is threaded joint or flanged/butt welded joint?

It is not consistent with Crane TP-410.

From that table, I would call socket/threaded, or 1.0R short radius elbows, "standard".

In most cases for welded piping systems > 2", long radius elbows are used unless there's a routing issue requiring short radius.

What source is that? It seems odd. Cameron Hydraulic Data has both K factors and and equivalent length table. In the equivalent length table there are multiple values listed by pipe size.

For example, a "standard" elbow ranges from 1.55 to 32.8 ft from 1/2" to 14" pipe size. A long radius elbow varies from 0.83 to 17.5 ft across the same range.

@RVAmeche
I Googled the table title and Google Books shows this table on page 63 of "Transport Phenomena and Unit Operations A combined Approach" by Richard G. Griskey. Hopefully the OP will confirm/deny.

@jari001
Thanks. What is your idea about standard elbow in that table from "Transport Phenomena and Unit Operations A combined Approach"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back