Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standard sidewall sprinkler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmedbadr87

Mechanical
Jun 10, 2018
DE
We are installing sprinkler system network in Hospital and I have couple of questions with regard to installing standard sidewall sprinklers

1.]We have standard sidewall sprinklers in the corridor , ( I attach a dwg ) ,

corrdior_sidewall_sprinkler_nod8i2.png

as per NFPA 13 2019

10.3.4.1.3 Where sidewall spray sprinklers are installed along the length of a single wall of
rooms or bays, they shall be spaced in accordance with the maximum spacing provisions of
Table 10.3.3.2.1.

IS this clause applicable only to rooms only also i can apply where HSW sprinklers installed on corridor?

2.In rooms we install mix of pendent sprinklers and HSW Sprinklers,

mixed_sprinklers_fepl1t.png

As per NFPA 13 2019
10.3.4.1.6 Sidewall spray sprinklers shall be permitted to be installed on opposing or adjacent
walls, provided no sprinkler is located within the maximum protection area of another
sprinkler.

IS this clause only applicable when two Sidewall sprinklers installed nearby each other or shall be also applied in my case where i have pendent and HSW in the same room?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

10.3.4.1.3 refers in general to sidewall sprinklers spaced along a wall, lintel or some obstruction and the spacing must comply with table 10.3.4.1.3. A corridor is also made by walls and therefore there is no practical difference as long as all the rest of requirements for such sprinklers are satisfied.

10.3.4.1.6 intent is to prohibit wetting adjacent sprinklers when sprinklers may come too close. As long as your satisfy the limitations of both sidewalls and pendents in an area and as long as there is no possibility of wetting one an other combining sidewalls with pendents should not be a problem.

UFT12 ,
Thx for reply. I believe Sidewall sprinklers have special requirements other than pendent sprinklers." provided no sprinkler is located within the maximum protection area of another
sprinkler
"...what is meant by this ( protection area of another sprinkler?..how can this be defined?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back