Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting Up a repaird engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2005
HN
Hello everybody:

In a medium speed Diesel engine we have performed a machining job on a connecting rod journal, reducing the diameter in aprox. 5 mm. We are almost ready to start up this engine.

Would anyone in this forum give me any advice regarding with the care we have to take at that moment and during the normal operation? Is there any possibility that the nominal capacity of this engine could be reduced by this reparation?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello everybody:

This engine has around 360 hours of continuous operation, delivering 17.000 kW under normal conditions. So far, we can say that everything is all right!

Great news, glad everything has worked out well at your plant.

Are you still unable to share the cause of failure with us?
I know many plant owners using these engines and it would be of great benefit to share this information with them (as well as personal interest!), especially if they could be at risk of suffering the same problems.

I recall from another thread that you have been experimenting with orimulsion type fuels - did this contribute?

Hello everybody:

Hi taylorg: This engine is running under the guarantee period.

The problem with this engine was originated by a seized connecting rod big end bearing on the crankshaft journal.
This action provokes a seized piston on the cylinder liner and so on.

That is all that we know and, for the present, the manufacturer has been not able to explain to us the details of the failure.

We are running our plant on Bunker C only and we do not expect to operate it with Orimulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back