Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Static Equipment Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trig_Shah

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2016
US
Can anyone guide me to the standards that I can refer for Installing the Static Equipments on the Petrochemical site ? I have the API 686 for the rotating equipment but could not find anything for static ? Please advise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not come across a mechanical standard for static equipment installation such as pressure vessels etc. Mostly it is covered in clients specs. You might try AISC guidelines or publications as it is more of a civil/structural issue.

Also check out ACI (American Concrete Institute) standards for foundation and concrete design as these are referenced standards in typical client specs in refineries and petrochemical plants. In particular I believe ACI 318 provides guidelines for foundation and anchor bolt design. Usually clients such a BP Oil etc. have their own standards that refer to ACI and AISC (such as AISC steel construction manual) for foundation for equipment but also supplement with special requirements based on their own experiences built up over time. See if your client has any foundation design standards. Also I believe BP specs refer to AISC steel construction manual for anchor bolt sizing requirments.

Also try looking at PIP standards (Process Industry Practices). I have an old copy but you should be able to get up-to-date copies over the net. These are standards developed for process industry to standardize construction and are used at times by clients in the oil and gas, refining and petrochemical industries to supplement their standard specs. Here are the ones that are applicable:

STC01015 Structual Steel Design
STE3350 Vertical Vessel Foundation Design Guide
STE3360 Heat Exchanger and Horizontal Vessel Foundation Design Guide
STE05121 Anchor Bolt Design Guide
STF05121 Fabrication and Installation of Anchor Bolts

There may be more applicable - check.

I'm not aware of any generic document for that.
Specific equipment standards will often times have recommendations or requirements for installation- typical for tanks, for example.
If you have specific items you're wondering about, you might mention what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back