Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static pressure reduction on Face and Bypass Dampers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParadigmEnergy

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2010
US
Greetings! I'm new to this forum but whenever I use Google to find engineering answers I find this forum.

I am recommending a face and bypass damper retrofit for a large (60,000 CFM) existing fan system with the intent of saving fan energy. I'm approaching this with the fan laws in hand and have original design static pressures available. I want to install one 2 foot tall damper section in the middle of three 2 foot tall coil sections and am trying to deduce a suitable SP reduction amount. My thinking is to use a number like 1/3 as a prediction (1/3 less SP). Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have a better approach?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think he's looking for the estimated reduction in SP by bypassing the coils. He said he had the fan laws and design static pressures available.

That said, I think a manufacturer's help would be the best bet here. Have them select a coil similar to what you have then select one using a F&B system. The configuration/install of their factory F&B coil is probably going to be different than your retrofit but it might give you a good starting point. From the sound of it, the retrofit is like an external face and bypass coil rather than an integral one so be sure to mention that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back