Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Staubli Robot Move/Hold Button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmathias

Electrical
Nov 11, 2006
US
Does anyone know how to map the Move/Hold button functionality of the Teach Pendant to a DeviceNet output from the PLC? I am trying to add a Move/Hold button to the HMI since there is not always a Teach Pendant attached to the system.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it can be done through DeviceNet. The button status on the Adept/Staubli pendant can be read through V+ programming. I'm not aware that it can be mapped as a DeviceNet input. You must change your programming to pause/run based upon the status of a PLC input. That will require breaking up your motion programming into discrete steps with permission to move to the next step depending upon status of the input.

TygerDawg

Thanks! That is what I was thinking of doing, the robot is tied to the PLC via DeviceNet. So, I was wanting to utilize a "Move/Hold" bit from the PLC. In a Background Task of the robot, it would monitor the value of the bit, and if it was off, it would hold motion. Do you know what the syntax would be for the VAL3 programming instruction?

Thanks alot!
dmathias

You may want to ask Staubli for suggestions in case my ideas lead you down the path of destruction. Staubli may have a more effective solution, but I don't know for sure.

What I have done in the past with V+ is put the motion commands in a big CASE structure (SWITCH structure in VAL3). A secondary task monitors two things:
(1) current state of the sequence, defined by a numerical-sequence flag or seqies of boolean flags from the motion program
(2) PLC move/hold status or equivalent (data bit)

The secondary task gives permission to the motion program to proceed through the sequence to <next sequential state> and <permission to move> . This method is complex. Allows the controller to Step/BackStep through the sequence. But it's a pile of programming to implement. I don't like to use it because most end users can't support this level of complexity. But certain mission-critical projects may require it.

Maybe Staubli has a more automatic method already built in.

TygerDawg

I have talked with Staubli and there appears to be a fairly simple way to map the Move/Hold functionality to an input.
Through FTP Surfer, or any other FTP interface, you can modify a ioMap.cf file within the controller, then upload to the controller. After rebooting, if the teach pendant is not attached and the jumper is in place, the controller will monitor the input that was modified in the ioMap.cf file.

Thanks alot for all your help!
dmathias

I hope that you find a solution if not, I suggest that you get in touch with : patrick.lazzaroni@gmail.com

He is engineer application in Staubli, actually in Japan.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back