Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steam jacketing pump vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechEngr2007

Chemical
Sep 6, 2007
ES
hi Gents,
i am looking to have a good supplier for the petrochemecal industries steam jacketed pumps specailly if it is API 610 OH2, or other.
if any body has good experience, i appreciaite.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not seen a new steam jacketed pump for years. Why do you need this? I assume it is for the seal and if that is the case you should find that the latest API682 arrangements are sufficient to design seals without heating jackets.

thank guys,
i know that i will got from the sales engineer what i want. but mainly i need the experience people to give me thier opinion and best practice that they have.

the jacketing i am looking is for the pump itself not the seals.

best regards,

I've seen this once before in a molten sulfur pump. A Goulds 3700 with a two piece jacket for the volute. I can't recall the manufacturer though. From what I understand it has worked pretty well. It may have come from Goulds.

I would think that the fit would be important, or that some sort of thermally conductive substance between the jacket and pump to ensure good contact would be the thing to do, if such a thing is available. I don't think you'd want to "glue" the jacket onto the volute.

MechEngr2007,

The 2 piece bolt on heat jacket for pump probably came from Controls Southeast. Their Contro-trace products have bolted jackets fitted onto piping, valves, vessels, and pumps. They have mold patterns for hundreds of control valve bodies for casting the heat jackets for the valves. The initial cost of bolt-on jacket plus standard valve body might be as much as conventional jacketed valve body, but then any replacement will put you ahead with lower cost of standard casting valve body, or standard pump casing. They might have some API pump patterns for heat jackets. See

There are other benefits of better delivery / availability of standard non-jacketed casting parts. The molten sulfur piping users have benefitted from the elimnination of leaks and cross-contamination between sulfur and steam jacket leaks. The worst leak could be product leaks getting into the jacket and blocking steam flow with resulting freeze-up of the product stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back