Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam rocket designed by self-trained man crashes due to premature parachute deployment. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wish they wouldn't call him an engineer. But he did win the coveted Darwin Award at last...

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Am I the first to say;
Darwin Award. ?
edit. Nope. Missed by 2 minutes.
Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

" Nope. Missed by 2 minutes." You both missed by a lot longer than that...

Check my post of 27 Nov 17 06:15
A Darwin award in the making?

Dik

"The rocket appears to plummet back down to earth before hitting the ground" Daily Mail, hitting the obvious.

Looks like a failure similar to Evil Knievel's canyon jump, which also nearly killed Evil.

The Darwin Award is only given to those who have no yet reproduced and are still likely to. There are no separate awards for generally fatal stunts.

Holy moses.

That's chilling watching.

To not have a plan B for how to get back to earth in one piece though is a fatal incident waiting to happen. Abd it did.

Lets not forget the guy died here. He might have been mildly deranged and devoid of talent but he didn't really deserve to die like that. I'm sure someone will say "that's the way he would have liked to go" but even so.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If you followed his previos attempt to die inside this thing you can see the canopy is actually more like a drag car canopy and it was attached to the "rocket". The fact he clearly had no ejection equipment or means of escape is symtponatic of e clear lack of design or forethought.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Not trying to make joke - launch on 02/22/2020, duration of flight exactly 20 seconds.

There is a lot to learn here about human nature and the disregard of engineering realities. I wonder who was helping him? Were they really aware of the risk? His first rocket took 10 years to construct. How did he get this one done in 2 years?

There are numerous videos of Mr. Hughes and his rocket. Some show glimpses into his design and mindset which I find fascinating. It's a shame he did not limit his hobby to unmanned rocketry. Reasoning with him would not have stopped him from getting on that thing, only the result we all saw coming would stop the madness.

Living your dream should not be a euphemism for taking unnecessary and ill-informed risk. This stunt seems to have been underfunded.

It seems his original interest was using steam rocket to jump over a "reasonable" distance. This morphed into claims he could reach the stratosphere when it got him more attention.

Clue to cause of accident in this video

If the Earth is flat, why would there be a stratosphere? Why would the atmosphere change its properties (density, temperature, etc) with altitude? What would drive such "layering" behaviour? What happens to the atmosphere at the edge of the Earth - does it all fall over the edge like a giant air-fall?

So many questions ... we need to research this further!

From prior threads, I am not sure if Mike chose the flat earth society or if the flat earth society chose Mike thinking that he may further their ends.
They may have provided financial support to Mike.
Sad. I'm going to miss him.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I reject your reality and substitute my own

It's the land of illogic, where it's more logical that there are millions of people conspiring to hide the truth from the few true believers.

It may also be that the Dunning-Kruger effect is a spectrum disorder, not unlike autism, and these people have an extreme version.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back