Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam rocket designed by self-trained man crashes due to premature parachute deployment. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How would this suffer undetectable damage?

ps_7_rggolw.jpg

I was checking out Mike's parachutes in this video.
It seems he had three chutes. Note how for his 3rd launch he used a converted dump truck.

What is strange about this launch truck is the homemade licence plate. The plate number UCC 1-308 is used to assert something I have never heard of.
This was a sure way to have gotten his rocket confiscated by the California Highway Patrol if spotted in on the roadway. Also, was it DOT legal to have solid-motor rockets (in the ballistic chute) transported like shown?

ucc1308_ewwg2v.png

So from the video and still photo Mike had at least two chutes. Are these devices deployed by a mechanical cable/linkage or an electronic signal? By one chute prematurely deploying due to contact with the access ladder could that have disengaged the second? For a fail-safe system I would expect two independent paths.

Three chutes (red) with deployment rockets directly aimed at passersby. I do not know what state of arm they might have been in during transport. Green is damage to skirt.

Set off by pulling handle on end of wire cable. Solid rocket motors ignited by percussion primers. Insufficient slack in cable housing may cause unintended ignition.

Typical brand, probably not the same has used on this rocket.

ucc1308_ny1l87.png

It looks to be the same type that's fitted to cirrus aircraft.

The aircraft ones are deployed by pulling a handle in the ceiling with a mechanical linkage to the BRS.

There are quite a few light aircraft fitted with them these days.

jrs_87, wow, looking at that manual I don't know which is scarier, having one or not :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thanks jrs_87 for the clarification on the chute locations and the BRS chute info. The chutes should have been installed with independent deployment cables/linkages and based on the BRS info the deployment is straight-forward: pull the safety pin and pull the release handle. Mike may have been incapacitated and unable to respond to the situation . . .

Jrs_87 - thanks for another great link. Mike Hughes seemed to be quite a hands-on fabricator. The flat-earth hook seems like a fundraising tool - his enginineering was seat-of-the-pants "make it work" and his zeal and enthuiasm for what he was doing seemed quite real. Quite plausible he did not strengthen his seat mounts to account for the additional thrust and the structure had already been stressed a launch cycle or two.

March 2018 version of rocket:

Main chute did not deploy. Main chute had a sling for horizontal decent. Hit nose first instead.

He mentioned on this launch having automatic chute release.

Deployment handle in more difficult push arrangement, rather than pull.

Same fake licence plate.

Displayed rocket in convention hall with ballistic chute mounted.

2020-03-03_14_mevai6.png

2020-03-03_15_irr9m4.png

2020-03-03_11_nwue15.png

2020-03-03_5_jq2moa.png

Has the thread name been changed, or am I mistaken? If changed, why?

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back