Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steam separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salzilla

Industrial
Apr 14, 2003
US
Plan on using a steam separator on a 20 psi very wet flash steam line.
There are many types out there, but which is the most efficient - barrier type, filter type, vortex type etc.
we have flows up to 20000 lb/hr.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two types of separators that I have used. One uses centrifugal forces and the other forces the steam to change directions many times to drop the water out. Both gaurantee good quality. The most important thing is to size correctly. If too big, the steam travels too slow and the forces don't work too well, if too small, the steam travels too fast and will entrain moisture. Also trap with strainer on the bottom, best is an F&T cause it can handle the dirt the best. Look at for both types:

Thanks for the feedback,
Our belief is that the vortex separators work best but this is not justified. It seems the two competing technologies [from JoeSteam above] advertise good results.

Is there no comparison literature that puts these head to head over a range of flows?
For example, there is lots of head to head information on averaging pitot tubes

From what I have been led to believe, the vortex type of separator will give the better performance if the conditons are ideal (for the separator). Baffle type separators are better where the pressure and flow rate fluctuate. Personally, I prefer to specify baffle type units.

It is important that the separator is properly lagged, otherwise your steam will still be wet coming out the other end!

Keef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back