Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Baseplate for a Wood Column? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

medeek

Structural
Mar 16, 2013
US
I've got a 6x6 DF No. 2 post with about 11,000 lbs vertical load resting on a 6" reinforced slab (assume 3000 psi). According to Tomanovich's GRDSLAB calculator this will not work. Typically I would say cut the concrete and put in a square footing. However, why not just use a steel base plate so as to avoid having to cut the concrete?
Maybe the steel would have to be too thick in order to distribute the load and spread it enough to make it work. Has anyone ever tried this for columns on existing slabs?

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As others have mentioned, there are several popular methods. Might as well start with this one: Link

I'm really interested in Manstrom's point about not knowing the bearing capacity / modulus of the subgrade. Whenever I've done this, it's been with assumed values. I've always figured that the base course would dominate the stiffness and slab flexural stresses would govern the design for most applications.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back