Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Box Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerStr

Structural
Mar 13, 2007
PE
Hi all,
I need more information about the design of steel box sections with transverse and/or longitudinal stiffeners, including sections with slenders components (flanges or webs).
If you know some references that deal with these issues I would appreciate you to respond this post.

Thnks a lot.

PerStr.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the AISC manuals cover these in reasonable detail.

Ok, both the 9th edition and the new edition of the AISC specs have provisions about slender elements under uniform compression; but, what about of slender webs under stress gradient??. What about the effective width of these elements??? How to consider in case of a built-up box comprised of welded plates?? Should I take the AISI provisions for this case??

Thanks in advance.

You don’t mention, but I assume this component is part of a building since you are talking about AISC and AISI specs. The AASHTO LRFD specs cover in detail the design of built-up box girders for bridge applications. AASHTO is going to be more conservative than AISC, but you could always use AASHTO as a “reality check” for your design.

As I remember it, the effective widths and other provisions of AISI are based on tests of cold formed shapes. I believe the cold formed shapes benefit from the cold forming process. As such, I don't believe AISI formulas apply to welded construction.

Thanks,
In fact the structural elements are part of a ship loader.
The steel box sections are the main elements conforming a frame.
Something like this:

| | |
|________| PLATFORM______|
| | W/COUNTER |
| | WEIGHT |
| | |
STEEL | |STEEL |
BOX | |BOX |
SECTION| |SECTION |_________
|________| |_________|
| | |TRUSS
| | |FOR
| | |CONVEYOR
|________| PLATFORM__________|
| |
____|____ ____|_____
| | | |
_|_ _|_ _ |_ _|_

FRONT VIEW LATERAL VIEW

The elements are under axial, flexion and torsion forces.
If you have any additional comments, welcome!!!

Sorry for the previous post.
Don't take into account the "sketch".

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back