Steel Construction Handbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBMI

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2009
CA
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a steel construction handbook for general reference. I'm looking at either the AISC Steel Construction Manual or the CISC Handbook of Steel construction. Has anyone used both manuals? Is one better than the other? We're based in Canada so the Canadian manual would be nicer for us I would think.

Thanks,

Dean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree. I just wonder if the American book happens to be far better written, better illustrated etc etc. As I mentioned, it's just for general reference for a wide range of projects.

If you are working in canada get the CISC handbook (9th edition). There are slight variations with respect to the codes north and south of the border.

Other than some strange political reason, if the entire EU can get on one currency, could we not as North Americans agree on one steel design spec? Seems like a big waste of money to independently produce very similar specs. Why not join forces, like NAFTA, but in a way that is actually beneficial. Not like steel knows what side of the border its being used. You guys up der use the same shape designations and what not?

I bet we could work out all the minor differences over a couple of beers...

We use both working in Canada and the US. There are differences in the specifications. If you are looking for only reference purposes, I recommend AISC. CISC differs to AISC when examples are not given. Wait a few months and the 14th Edition AISC will be available. Either get the update or save some money on the 13th Ed.

Also AISC 13th and 14th provide ASD and LRFD information. CISC is LRFD only.

Yes Australia and New Zealand went through a similar integration process. Many As became AS/NZS during the next revision though there are some construction standards such as earthquake where both countries are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back