Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Joist 20 H7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vfigueroa

Structural
Aug 2, 2005
PR
We are evaluating a series of cracks that has been developing during the last month on a lightweigth mezzanine structure. The structure was built on 1985 and five years ago a series of cracks developed on the 2.5 thin concrete slab. The construction drawings describes the joist elements as 20 H7 supporting a 2.5 inches concrete slab and a wire mesh reinforcemnt. The mezzanine slab was rated at that time capable to resit live loads up to 125 psf.

Where can I find the mechanical properties, load tables or any information on that specific type of steel joist.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Values from SJI - 1978

20H7: Nominal Depth = 20 in
Resist Moment = 499,000 in-lbs
Max End Reaction = 5400 lbs
Approx WT = 10.7 lbs
Maxmum Tensile Stress= 30,000 psi

If you have the span, I can give you the allowable loads.

I went to SJI seminar and got education credits and free 41st Edition manual for free. It was a great seminar and the breakfast and lunch wasn't bad either. I went to one in Long Beach, California although I live and practice in NY. They have it all throughout the country at various time. Check them out. It was definitely worth the money for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back