Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Joist Girder Connection at Existing Tilt Panel Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieStruct

Structural
May 31, 2011
US
I have a situation where a joist girder sits on a WT that is welded to embed on an existing tilt panel wall. Does the embed take only shear? My senior engineer says since everything is attached, the deck, the joist are in place the connection will only take shear. I feel that the joist girder load will cause an eccentric load on the WT and therefore induce moment on the embed. We are planning to increase the capacity of the floor deck for the building and the general loading will increase by 10 psf. If I account for eccentric load the existing embed fails. If the connection is pure shear it is ok. If I need to design for moment, how should I tackle the problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess I'd see that there is eccentricity unless the joist girder seat and the WT work together adequately for the bending.

Usually the weld from the seat to the WT isn't enough to deal with the moment there.
Either there is moment in the joist girder seat/WT assembly or there is moment on the WT-to-wall connection.
You can't ignore both.

The actual studs attached to the embed are fine in shear,tension and interaction. However, the embed itself is relatively thin. I need it to be 3/4" thick it is 1/2" thick. If I ignore the tension, the plate is fine.

This has more to do with stiffness than anything else... If your girder and beam are effectively rigid, and your WT will not rotate, then you MAY have a case for shear only.

This is so rare that many codes make it illegal. In NZ3404 you MUST include a nominal eccentricity.

If you are in seismic zone, this argument is moot as well.

If you see high winds, I'd never consider this argument.

Effectively this is an abuse of St. Venant's principle. Local effects and Global effects at least INTERACT in almost every situation.

Don't design this to be dependent on no e, you'll be in for trouble IMHO.

The eccentricity needs to be considered. It's there. How old is the building? Based on ASCE standards for renovations of existing buildings, you may be permitted to assume an increase in f'c. If your loads are close, that may get you there.

Ztengguy, I read through the various post and I believe there is eccentricity. The eccentricity I assumed was half the bearing length of the girder. I have reduced the live loads.

The building is a non seismic 90 mph wind zone. It was built in 2009. The concrete and studs are fine, I am more concerned about the thickness of the embed. How can I increase the thickness of the embed? I don't think it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back