Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel Portal Frame Frequency 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKW05

Structural
May 23, 2005
US
I have attached a sketch and calculations for a simple frame which will have a very small impact load applied downward at the mid-span of the beam. The required minimum natural frequency of the structure measured along the vertical axis at the mid-span of the beam is 200 Hz. From the attached calculations, it appears that column deformation alone makes this unattainable. (For simplification, I have not included the applied load in the calculations (200 lbs.) as that would not have an impact on my conclusion). Am I missing something here? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=294e67a9-581e-4d6b-9a68-15d59656cb8e&file=Frequency_Calc.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, yeah sorry. It should be delta!

It's in metric, so 0.18*100 (10 approximates g=9.81m/s^2 taking it outside the sqrt.

Sorry also missed that explanation in your 4th post. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but aren't they saying the 'thing' you use to test should have the 200 hz frequency, not the structure being tested?

The frame is used to test safety harnesses.

The standard specifies the minimum natural frequency of the drop test structure. Don't know that I can buy into it meaning anything other than the structure....

Thanks for your input.

JKW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back