Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel structure vibration absorbing! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitalis77

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2006
GR
Hi everybody,
I dont know if piping support issues are covered in this forum division, anyhow could somebody assist on how a steel structure should be arranged so as to absorb any vibrations caused by the adjacent equipment. Are there any techniques to solve this problem?. To be more precise I'm currently estimating a way to support some instruments that are intented to replace old ones. The whole surroundings are subjected to vibration and the customer needs my proposal to incorporate this phenomenon into our structure. If the instrument inherently cannot face this problem how can the structure achieve it? Do I have to refer to the instrument manufacturer to give me some guidelines?
Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Best way to handle vibration is to eliminate it, or isolate them at the source. Balance and allign the equipment as well as possible.

2. Isolate vibration Sources / and,or isolate delicate equip.

Try to arrange vibration producing equipment into one area that can be isolated from delicate equipment.

If source vibration is severe, isolate vibration source support structure from those supporting delicate equipment. Expensive as it may necessitate two separate structures.

Isolate vibrating equipment from its own supports. Spring cans, shock absorber mounts, mass dampners etc. to support the vibrating equipment.

Isolate vibration transmissions between supports of vibrating equipment and the supports of delicate equipment by the use of thick rubber bearing backing pads between beams and columns.

3 Increase Support Stiffness

Reduce spans of beams and increase the moment of intertia properties to minimize deflection response to any force.

4 Adjust natural frequencies of supports outside vibratory ranges

Increase support member mass to lower natural frequencies of vibration of supports. Do not allow support members to have natural frequencies (or common multiples) close to the frequencies of the vibration sources. Avoid regularly spaced pipe supports. Avoid pipe spans with natural frequencies corresponding to pump rpms and flowrate vibrational frequencies.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

vitalis,

Please describe the types of instruments you're dealing with, how they're currently mounted, what they're mounted to (piping, structure, vessels, rotating equipment), and the vibration characterisitics being experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back