Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Storage rack design

Status
Not open for further replies.

todh

Structural
May 24, 2005
US
I am pursuing a new type of project, but am having trouble finding the right references and guidance. The IBC reportedly requires that storage racks over 8 feet in height be designed and structural calculations provided by a PE. I can not find this requirement in the IBC. Can anyone point me to it. We are operating under the 2003 IBC, but will soon be moving to the 2006 IBC.

Realizing that the components of high-piled rack storage systems are proprietary, how is an independent PE expected to verify capacities for an existing system that was previously installed? Is this just through the use of the manufacturers load tables? How do you calculate overall structural stability then?

I understand that this is a general question, but I just need some help finding the right references. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the quick answer! I only have the '03 and '06 IBC. In those versions, that section essentially is one paragraph that incorporates the RMI Specifications for the Design, Testing and Utilization of Industrial Storage Racks. I assume the '09 IBC is no different? Have you dealt with the RMI spec before? Is it worth purchasing?

You can find a copy of the RMI code on-line. There are some additional load cases to consider, but it's not difficult to follow.

For exisitng systems, I have field measured the componants and ran the calcs from scratch. I don't like counting on the manufacturer's load tables. They rarely take lateral loading into account when determining the capasities.

Lateral loads: Many of these systems use a two rivit connection. I usually run a portal frame analysis to determine the loading, then show that the two-rivit connection can resist this loading. In high seismic areas, I often need to reduce the capasity until I can get the system to work. Make sure you indicate that a sign needs to be posted with the capasity.

Thanks hawkaz. I just ordered the RMI code and am waiting on it to be emailed to me. Once I get a chance to review it, I am sure I will have more questions as this is my first go around on this. I am in Houston, so we don't typically worry about seismic as our hurricane force winds usually control the building design. I'll see what seismic forces do in this case. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back