Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strain Softening Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwcomposites

Sep 5, 2008
US
Hello,

I am having problems performing a non-linear static analysis with strain softening.
I cannot use any Structural -> Nonlinear -> Inelastic -> Rate Independent material models because they are all hardening models, and I get an error if I input a negative slope for one of the segments.

So I tried the Structural -> Nonlinear -> Inelastic -> Cast Iron material model and I included strain softening this way, but I ran into a convergence problem.

Then I tried a Structural -> Nonlinear -> Elastic -> Multi-Linear Elastic and I ran again into convergence problems: the model crushes when it reaches the softening region.

I need to validate a theory, and for that I would need to observe the behavior of the material when it reaches softening. I am not bound to any particular material and I am dealing with any unloading, so elastic or inelastic will work with me for now.

Has anybody performed a non-linear analysis with softening before? If so, could you please point me in the right direction? I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any help you will be able to provide me.

Best Regards,

-Francesco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back