Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strainers at the inlet of ejectors for vacuum tower 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Jun 30, 2003
KR
Recently we experienced plugging of strainers(60 mesh) at the inlet of ejectors installed at the vacuum tower overhead in our refinery, to solve this problem questions were made as below. Actually, we want to remove strainer and avoid any operational interuption by the plugging of strainer during normal operation. If you guys have good comments, please let me know.

a) Reason of strainer installation at the inlet of ejector
b) Side effect in case of removing strainer
c) General Mesh size(if installation of strainer is general
practice).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not seen strainers installed in this location. I would surmize they may have been startup strainers to catch mill scale and other debris in the piping to save the eductor nozzles though typically this is handled by properly steam blowing piping prior to start-up.

How long have the eductors been in service? Were the lines steam blown as part of the commissioning procedures?

I'm not sure there is a mesh size for this application. Any particles is going to erode the nozzles over time, it's not like a centrifugal pump for example that can pass a given particle so you pick a strainer that catches particles over that diameter.

Personally, I'd remove them.

Strainers are installed in the steam lines to the ejectors ,To romove any rust particles or such thing that steam might have .
Actually when the motive fluid travels throughthe throat of ejector it atains sonic speed and any such particles present may cause high abbrasion ,if your plant is new and piping is in good condition you may remove these strainers
but as you said they are pluging then there is debris around and yo probably wanna keep them or you may be be replacing the internals of ejectors in 2 ~3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back