Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strange Wood Framing | Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookowski

Structural
Aug 29, 2010
US
See attached photo. I was looking at this building for something unrelated to the framing shown.

The photo is of roof framing: 3x10s @ 16" o.c., spans around about 15ft. from walls to center steel beams. To pitch the roof the original builder built a series of 2x4 stilts off the framing which in turn support flat 2x4 (@16 o.c.) to support the pitched sheathing. These 2x4 posts vary from 0" to about 12" in height. The building is a two story brick masonry residential, late 1800s but the framing shown is obviously much newer (1990s).

My work was not related to this framing so I am wondering what kind, if any, of upgrades to the framing I should recommend - or should I leave well enough alone? The joists are obviously not braced by the sheathing. There also is an issue of the diaphragm not being connected to anything. Since this is an existing condition I don't want to go overboard and recommend major fixes if they are avoidable. I was thinking of solid blocking between the joists, providing post installed ties from masonry to the joists, and was also considering some diagonal struts up from the blocking to provide a lateral path for the diaphragm. The roof/roofing is not being worked on so ideally all work is from below and does not penetrate the roof. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I call it an attachment too but usually when a post refers to "the attached photo" or "the attachment", it is referring to something attached to itself. On several occasions, a poster has mentioned an attachment but forgot to include it. I thought that was the case here. Sorry for the confusion.

BA

Does your governing building have an "existing building code" or similar guidelines? You may be required to bring the MWFRS/diaphragm issues you have noted up to code to meet basic life safety requirements, even with low wind. This will help when you tell the architect and owner why you have to do these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back