Strategy for dynamic bracket FEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTR

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2003
US
Hello all,

I want to make some design changes to a bracket attached to an IC engine and I want to make sure I end up with a part as robust as the one it is replacing. Tooling is expensive so I would like to validate the bracket using FEA techniques before actually ordering parts. I have vibration data from the old design but I'm not sure how to put it to good use. Should I just concentrate on making sure the stiffness/ resonance is comparable
between the two designs or am I missing a better approach?

Thanks!
Mel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My view is, u can do a comparitive study with the present design & the proposed design under like-to-like condition.

truely speaking u have to do a vibration test (under 9g acceleration) for the new design.

Or else, atleast u can perfom a Linear staic analysis under gravity load for both the design & compare the results.

1 make sure it's staic stiffness in situ is at least as high as the old bracket

2 Make sure the resonances are at least as high in frequency as in the old bracket, when tested in situ with whatever it is supporting in place

3 back calculate the forcing on the old bracket from the vibration data and apply that forcing to your new bracket and make sure the stresses, or at least the vibration spectrum, is better on the new one.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back