Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Streamline Tube/Strut 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwiftyOE

Aerospace
May 4, 2011
US
I have to model various extruded aluminum streamline tubes. Is the an airfoil number for these? So far all I can find is simple cross-sections with major, minor and wall thickness.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of them are simply half round ovals.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Bruhn has a table of streamline tube sections ... as BE says above, most likely just an ovalised section, rather than a NACA airfoil.

if you're trying to model an existing extrusion, why not grab a piece, or ask the extrusion c/- for drawings of their dies ?

The shapes are definitely not oval and are tear drop. The tubes I'm looking at are COTS for light sport aircraft form aircraft supply companies and not from the extrude/shaper. I was hopeing there was a standard shape or spec for them. However this may not be the case.

The MS33534 spec should have all the proportions and relationships you need - but the COTS statement makes me wonder if the extruder may have taken liberties (not followed this spec). Also the MS is for taking round 4130 and mashing it into a streamline or oval. Not so constrained dimensionally with extrusion.

Been dealing with the same issue myself, except with GM versus Toyota roof racks - soon to purchase the third set of adapters for the kayak racks.

For aerodymanic drag eval: check out Hoerner's "Fluid Dynamic Drag". There is a section on streamlined bodies including bodies similar-to streamline and oval tubing sections.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

thruthefence
"Isn't the trailing edge "half" a parabola? "

It easily can be, I was trying to keep it simple.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back