Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stress concentration factor - fine mesh FEA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicme

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2003
US
hello

i can't get any universal agreement on this question, and it seems it should be simple.

i have a finite element model (ANSYS) of a hollow stepped shaft with a fillet at the root of the step. i model a fine mesh (at least 10 elements from OD to ID ) and looking at bending and torsion in the shaft. the mesh is very fine when compared to the radius of the fillet (3").

i argue that the stresses output by the model are valid as-is, while some of my partners say i need to add stress concentration factors on top of the ANSYS stresses. i think they are wrong --- if the mesh is fine, the stresses will implicitly include "stress concentrations".

i have searched the previously asked questions and can't put together a direct answer to this question.

any comments would be appreciated.

regards

magicme

------------------------------------
"not all that glitters is gold"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Corus,

I was thinking use a coarse nearly uniform mesh. There will
be some areas that will stand out because of high stress (relative value, red color). These may be areas that already have a fillet. If a location is a sharp corner and has not been modelled with a fillet I guessed at a stress concentration value of 3 (a preliminary value).

I know a coarse mesh and a sharp corner will not give accurate results. But we are only trying to get some preliminary values.

What do you think? If you do not agree with above what course would you follow to check which sharp corners are important and need to be modelled more carefully?

Gurmeet

GURMEET2003:

Why would you assume a SCF of 3 for a sharp corner??? That is the SCF for a hole.....If I remember correctly the SCF for a sharp interior corner is infinite theoretically.....don't remember what is is for an exterior corner but stress should be minimal for exterior corners having no load...check a reference book!!!

Ed.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back