Structural fees and liability for a project of mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB001

Structural
Jun 15, 2024
US
Hi mates,

If a project has 200 windows, and your job is to design a structural engineering drawing to repair and replace all 200 windows framing.
However, it is solely one design since all 200 windows are same sizes.
How much would you charge the client in this case? Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to so many similar items.
I mean the windows are all same sizes and typical, but I understand the liability of 200 windows is not like one.

What would be a good quote for structural engineering plans for that project?
Since work would only take less than 2 days to draft and draw the windows replacement framing plans so it would not be a lot of leg work.

Based on your experience, how much would you charge?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck getting a client to sympathize with your concerns about reuse and liability, and to agree to your inflated price (in their eyes) to address those concerns. That is the hardest part in situations like yours.

gte is right - most wont understand. If they don't and you can't convince them, best to walk away. If you have to, reach out to your insurance agent and ask them what sort of impact this would have on your rates, or even what it would cost to get a project specific policy for it. Because policy rates are set based on the cost of construction, not the level of your fees. That can be eye opening.

In a situation such as this I think it's better to have a very well defined scope which allows for additional services for any unique conditions that are unforeseen, a strong contract with a strict limit of liability equal to your fee, and an allowance for Construction Administration that addresses the added effort relative to 200 windows versus 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back