Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Steel Design -ASD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hnewton

Civil/Environmental
Jan 31, 2005
US
I am teaching myself Structural Steel Design - ASD method. I am using the book by McCormac, I would like to obtain the solutions manual for this book and am willing to pay for a copy.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to teach and I did use Jack’s textbooks (ASD and LRFD) and I do have the solution manuals for both.

However, How do I know that you are not a student and just want to get your hands on the solutions manual?

Regards,

Lutfi

In all fairness, most engineer's today right from the university are only outfitted with LRFD. It's when they hit our doorstep that they must forget the LRFD (sometimes, but not always) and use ASD.

I am not aware of any program with universities that are within 400 miles of me that teach ASD anymore.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I am agree with QShake. I finished university at 1996 and started to work in design with structural steel at 2000. I can say that NEVER have used the LRFD method in spite of learning LRFD at the university. And I had to learn by myself the ASD method.

Regards.

hnewton,

I've used Mr. McCormac's books for Steel Design and Structural Analysis (both 3rd editions) for nearly twenty years and never had to resort to the answer key.

Keep at it, you'll find the solutions.

If your just looking for solved problems, I'd suggest a Schaum's outline or some of the design guides identified by this forum from time to time.

You'll also find solved problems in any edition of the AISC Manual, (ASD)

jjf

I am a firm believer in LRFD, but I can not argue with the simplicity of ASD. I use LRFD for steel design practically all the time, but usually it is because the majority of my buildings are concrete with only small amounts of steel. I therefore think that if I am going to design most of the building with LRFD (concrete design), I need to design the whole structure that way.

Anyway, I think your best bet is to get your info straight from the horse's mouth and use the AISC ASD Manual.

Sooner or later though, the ASD manual will be so scarce that we will have to use LRFD.

AISC is coming out with a combined ASD/LRFD manual in early 2005 (last I heard).

If it is only 6 months late we should be able to get it in september.

AISC is still pushing LRFD, but they have finally compromised with us working stiffs and are publishing the combined manual.

Go to the AISC web site under epub, Modern Steel Construction, June 2004, read "Joining Forces".

Or just plug the above address into your web browser.

Regards to All,

JPJ

[thumbsup2]

I just called the AISC and asked about the ASD/LRFD Unified Design Code.

They are behind schedule and it looks like it will be sometime in 2006 before publication.

All the committees are still fighting out what will be included.

Regards,

JPJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back