Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Steel Design Software - Opinions? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cal91

Structural
Apr 18, 2016
US

I'm relatively new to my firm, hosting a total of 3 engineers including myself. The way they have "always done things" is the one has Sap2000 on his computer, and the other has Revit. Mr. Sap2000 creates a model on SAP (from scratch) and does the analysis/design. Mr. Revit creates a model on Revit (from scratch) to create the drawings and the coordination model.

We have a new project where we are building a steel building on top of a concrete building. We're the steel engineer and another firm is the concrete engineer, and we will need to coordinate models. They asked what program we used and I told them Sap2000. That got some chuckles to my surprise. They asked if we used RAM or ETabs, which they much preferred, and which we don't have.

This got me thinking, especially since Mr. Sap2000 is retiring soon and I will be taking his place, is Sap2000 the best program for us? We do heavy seismic steel design, and I'd like to be able to just create one model, either in Revit or the Analysis program, and just share it between the two softwares. I've looked at previous threads on this but can't find anything since 2011, which was centuries ago as far as technology is concerned. Also, why did they chuckle. Whats wrong with Sap?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RISA ... hands down ... No I am employee or I don’t get any kickback from them but they are a solid company and have tremendous customer service.

Old timers use SAP2000 because was one of the first FEA programs and the first one form CSI. If you are going to be doing mostly buildings, use ETABS, SAFE and CSIxRevit. You should also consider price to own, perpetual license vs subscription etc. ETABS has various levels, so is not one size fits all. ETABS for me has the advantage that it includes all modules for design in all levels. Also make sure that support is done by experienced structural engineers in your own country. That would save you a lot of frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back