Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Steel for Low Temperature Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpbhoy

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2001
GB
Can anyone advise the most available grades of structural steel available for use at temperatures as low as -40degC?

Specifically I am interested in channel and hollow section availability. My company (OEM) has a number of enquiries for equipment (baseplates, lifting beams)which must be suitable for this condition at site and we have struggled in the past to get readily available material (unless we pay for supplier to cast/roll 40 tonnes at a time!). Our solution has been to purchase steel rated down to -20degC and re-test / re-certify for -40degC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BS4360 has a variety of structural grades tested down to -60C

To answer your question, it depends on your design requirements. I would think that you, as the purchaser, needs to have a target value of impact energy at -40 deg C so that you can discuss this information with steel suppliers and select a suitable material that can be purchased to an ASTM Specification with impact requirements.

What is your minimum value of Charpy V-notch impact energy at -40 deg C (15 ft-lbs or 20 ft-lbs or 10 ft-lbs)? Depending on your impact energy requirements, there are a number of nickel-bearing steels (2% Ni), and low alloy quenched and tempered steel (like T1) to choose from depending on your impact requirements.

I have attached the following web site that provides a general overview of material selection for low temperature service. Keep in mind that the stated lowest temperature service may not be suitable for your design requirements;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back